"Soft" reset for Brother HL-L3230cdw family
You can experiment with this "soft" reset on any of the following printers ...
HL-L3210cw, HL-L3230cdw, HL-L3270cdw
MFC-L3710cw, MFC-L3730cdn, MFC-L3750cdw, MFC-L3770cdw
It did work for us on our HL-L3230cdw, but we found that the "two finger salute" was successful
on about 1 in 5 attempts. So don't give up if the button-press doesn't work on the first attempt.
A successful refill requires you to reset cartridges well before
refilling them. If in doubt about when to put more toner in, please see the
How to do it
- Wait until you get the "Replace Toner" message (and you can't print)
- Open the front cover of the printer and leave it open
- Give a quick simultaneous press of the BACK and CANCEL buttons ("Back arrow" symbol and "X" for HL-L3270cdw)
Press back and cancel simultaneously
Press back and X simultaneously
- You might need to repeat a few times to get an absolutely simultaneous press
- If successful, you'll see a code something like "K TNR-STD" or "M TNR-HC"
- K = black, C = cyan, M = magenta, Y = yellow
- Use down arrow to navigate to the colour in your "Replace toner" message
- Select [your colour] TNR-STD
See us doing this to reset our HL-L3230cdw in this video.
You can see a different approach to resetting in our video here.
Which makes use of reset wheels and worked for us first time, every time on our HL-L3230cdw.